Saturday, June 27, 2009

The ALMOST Perfect RACE


Today we headed to Inkom, Idaho to participate in the Tax Day Grind Road Race. Tracen had been contemplating this race for about a week. He wasn't sure that he could do this race and then get back to work on time due to the start time being so late for the Masters 35+ B group. We got up this morning and decided that we would be able to make it. We hurried and got ready and we were off. Of course we had to pay the late registration fee due to dragging our feet. Oh well, it was the perfect day for a race. No wind, just a lot of sun and a hilly course waiting for us. We got him checked in and wouldn't you know it, he got the exact same number as he had for the High Unitas Race, 707. His pack rolled out about 12:30, after a 1 mile neutral roll out the race was on! I followed him for a while and put my sweet camera to work. Tracen bought me a Canon EOS Rebel XTi for Christmas 3 years ago and I love it! It takes the bestest pictures ever:) I leapfrogged him to the top of the course and than let him just race. They had to complete this course 6 times, it was another hilly course and his legs felt great! He rode a strong and smart race; I worry about him being smart cause he tends to pull more than he should, he totally took his turn and let his team mates take theirs. Every time he rode by the feed zone area he was leading the pack, I was so excited for him. I knew this was going to be his race! After his fifth time around I walked up to the finish line to cheer him in. As they started to come around the bend in a final sprint, I couldn't see him. Oh crap! Did he wreck? I couldn't believe it. When he rolled across the finish line I could see the disappointment on his face. He went and congratulated his other team mates and then met up with me. I asked him "what happened". He told me that at the last 100 yard stretch BOTH his quads started to cramp! He gave it all he had but his legs let him down. I felt so bad for him. He really should have won this race. He would have. I have no doubt in my mind had he not cramped at the end. He told me he had the best ride ever, the hills were awesome, he felt so strong climbing, he ate and stayed hydrated like he should. DANG those CRAMPS! We will defiantly not let this get us down. He will be back in the saddle in no time and tyring to win again. I am so proud of him! I will be there waiting for him at the finish line at his next race. BTW he only had a 7 day rest period since his last 80 mile climbing race. What an animal! I love you Tracen! He took 5th.

1 comment:

  1. So disappointing :( but it's a lot easier to win a race than it is to lose one. Tracen is such an incredible person...being a great biker is icing on the cake. He'll get another chance to smoke a race. You are a wonderful wifey too!! How fun to share such enthusiasm and support each other in your tough-guy pursuits :)

    ReplyDelete