Saturday, May 1, 2010

Rain and Racing. Not a Great Combination!

Like father, like son. Today the race stricken duo were at it again. Antelope Island was the course and the weather HORRIBLE! It rained, hailed, and rained some more. Holden's course was 18 miles start to finish and this was his FIRST official race. This was defiantly an experience for this novice rider. Before he even got started he was WET and COLD. He was able to complete 14 miles of the course before he was officially FROZEN. His hands and feet were stinging with pain and he had had enough. I couldn't blame him for throwing in the towel. There were many other individuals who were in the same frame of mind and this was the perfect day for catching HYPOTHERMIA. Tracen's course would take him 43 miles around the Island and physically he felt great (weather aside). The few times that I saw him he was right with the lead pack. After I picked up Holden and took him to the pilot to warm up I lost track of Tracen. As we were waiting for him I glanced out the window to see him carrying his bike. With a disgusted look on his face he told me that his back tire popped! He was in the lead pack with 4 other guys and 7 miles away from the finish line. OH MY HECK! He has never not finished a race before, so this has really ticked him off needless to say. When he took his bike off the rack he discovered that his front tire also popped. There was really FINE pea gravel that was sharp, who would have guessed? The pebbles were so sharp that it went through his tire and we found it puncturing his tube! Talk about discouraging. We have no doubt that he could have been in the top three, WHY! Oh well, we can't control everything and he has another race in two weeks. Of course this time I won't be there. I am heading to Vegas with some girlfriends and with my luck he will place high and I won't be there to cheer him on. Holden will race this same race and we hope for his sake the weather will be NICER! Way to go boy's. I am so proud of you!

5 comments:

  1. Luv the first picture! Next race will be better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How awesome that Holden loves riding, too bad the weather couldn't cooperate. Good luck on the next ride!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is soooo sad! Why can't weather and other things cooperate?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Teresa.. I found you blog from Jess's blog links. Do you mind me asking where you got your Trek for your son? My 12 year is in love with cycling but we've had a hard time finding bikes in in his size. He is actually riding on a Diamondback Flat bar we found in a small womens that he loves but I am sure he wouldn't mind a real road bike.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Dave,
    We bought Holden's bike off of e-bay. We got lucky, they were really hard to find. Not sure where you live, but if you live in the Logan area Al's sporting goods can get you one. I am really good friends with the manager and she let me know that Trek is making kid's bikes again. They stopped for a while do to the lack of interest. You might be able to fit him on a small framed woman's road bike too. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete