Monday, September 14, 2009

1 Day/ 3 States/ 206 Miles


This weekend was the biggest weekend of the year, yes, it was LOTOJA time. Tracen and I have been training all summer for this EXCITING event. We got up at 5:00 a.m. and got the pilot packed with food, luggage and bikes. We went and picked up Tracen's folks and headed to Logan. Tracen's pack left at 7:10 a.m. and I rolled out at 7:37 a.m. It was a cool morning and perfect for riding. Tracen was well up Strawberry Canyon before I even got to Preston. I exchanged with my team mate in Preston and then headed to Montpelier with the rest of my team. When I arrived in Montpelier I called Tracen's parents to see how he was doing. To my surprise they were still in Montpelier stuck in traffic. We figured I would never be able to catch up with them and hence never see Tracen until I crossed the finish line with my team. As fate would have it that was so not the case. I found his parents and hopped in the pilot with them. I was so excited to be able to surprise him. We finally made our way out of Montpelier and saw him on the road before our support stop in Afton. I yelled out the window and he was SHOCKED to see me! We gave him his food in Afton and then headed to Alpine where we would see him again. His back by this time was really bothering him and I worried for him. He had a HUGE time goal he was wanting to make so this pain was not going to help him out. He rolled into Alpine and we loaded him up again and he was on his way. His goal was to be in Teton Village by 5:30 p.m. He was about 15 mins behind on his previous roll ins so I was worried that he wasn't going to make it. To my surprised he made up some serious time and sure enough he made it! He got his time he wanted 10 1/2 hrs. He IMPROVED his time from last year by 30 MINS! That is truly INCREDIBLE! He did however miss the podium once again:( Had he not stopped at a neutral rest zone in Hoback Junction he would have taken 5th which would have put him on. Needless to say he is kicking himself. I am so proud of him! He has improved LEAPS and BOUNDS this year and he is an ANIMAL! Our relay team finished in just a little over 12 1/2 hours, not to bad for first timers. We are both set to do it next year and can hardly wait to see what kind of results we can pull off:)





What a beautiful SIGHT!







finish line sprint!








My Team Mates- Mountain Dew r's
Amiee, Marilyn, Carlye, Me

3 comments:

  1. Way to Go, that is so awesome for both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go IDAHO! All day we thought of you. I hope you felt our good luck wishes. We were honking and cheering on the riders, hoping one would be you guys. After every one the kids were disappointed that you didn't hear them. I told them it was the though that counted and that you were way ahead of the pack. I so love being right!

    ReplyDelete